Pool Alone Policy | School / Group Supervision Policy
Supervision of Children
“Children under the age of 8 will not be permitted in the water unless actively supervised by a responsible caregiver aged 16 years or over. Children under 5 years of age must be within arm’s reach of a caregiver aged 16 years or over.”
The following steps should be followed in the event of a child being left alone / inadequately supervised:
• Child should be removed from the water until their parent/caregiver is located, or if needed phoned if they are not at the facility.
• Child should be handed over to the person nominated by the Team Leader until parent/caregiver is located.
• If parents/caregivers cannot be contacted and a reasonable amount of time has passed the Police should be contacted by the Team Leader or Senior Management.
• In all circumstances, the child is not allowed to re-enter the water.
• Upon contacting the parents/caregivers, they are to be verbally advised of the Pool Alone Policy and the requirement upon them as caregiver. Also pass them a Pool Alone Policy Card.
If a caregiver is found in the facility they must have the policy explained to them so they are made aware of their responsibility as a caregiver. If they continue to disobey the policy, or refuse to actively supervise their under 8 or stay within arm’s reach of their under 5, the Team Leader needs to be involved. The Team Leader will then issue them with a warning as appropriate and if they continue to offend they will be asked to leave the facility.
At this point the Team Leader needs to engage management and follow correct procedures for removal from facility/trespass.
School / Group Supervision Policy
Schools and groups that visit the facility have a specific supervision policy they need to plan for and adhere to. This policy is given to each group that book prior to their arrival. For groups that arrive without booking, a copy of the policy will still be given to them and their responsibilities explained. They will also be asked to call ahead and book next time. All school groups attending the facility before entering the pools will attend a school group safety talk from a Lifeguard.